Saturday, December 10, 2011

Poinsettia Flower Tutorial

Happy Holidays everyone! I thought I'd share another flower tutorial with you for the upcoming holidays. I did this page for the lyrics challenge at Scrapbook.com to use Christmas songs or lyrics on your page. Here's my LO. I started with white cardstock and misted the trees using Tattered Angels winter trees stencil. After misting, I applied diamond dust to the trees and used an old toothbrush in white paint to make the snow on the background.

And now for the tutorial.
Supplies:
Red and green cardstock
Stylus
Stickles (I used Frosted Lace)
Glue
Small white,clear, or yellow beads (I used clear)
Mother's Day Bouquet Cricut cartridge
Plantin Schoolbook Cricut cartridge

First I used my Mother's Day Bouquet Cricut cartridge and cut flower #25 at 3", 2 1/2", 2", and 1 1/2" out of red cardstock.
Then I used my scissors to shape the petals giving it a ragged look. It doesn't have to be perfect. Just make sharp jagged edges like this.
Then using your stylus over a foam pad, start making your veins on the petals. I made a straight line from the center out, and then added some veins going out from the center line.
Next I applied Frosted Lace stickles over all the flowers. Once dry they'll naturally start to curl.
Then use your stylus, pen, or whatever you have on hand to curl your largest flower petals down. The rest can be curled up.
Start layering and gluing your flower together starting with the largest one on bottom.
Then put some glue in the center and add your small beads.
Now for the leaves.
Cut out 3 leaves using the leaves on the Plantin Schoolbook Cricut cartridge, at 3", 2 1/2" and 2" out of green cardstock.
Then using my scissors again, I shaped the leaves like this, cutting a sort of inward scallop around the whole leaf. Again, this doesn't need to be perfect.
Then using my stylus I made some more lines to create veins.
Then I added my Frosted Lace stickles and glued them around the bottom of my flower.Here's a close-up of the finished flower. Thanks for stopping by!

3 comments: