Sunday, July 1, 2012

Watermelon banner and July reveal for PMB!

I'm so happy and proud to have been chosen as part of the new DT at the Paper Mixing Bowl! Ever since I discovered this really fun site back in April, I've been scrap cooking with them every month. I'm so excited to  reveal my first LO for them as a design team member!
Take a look at this month's recipe for strawberry shortcake.

The main ingredient is red strawberries, so red is the predominant color. 

Utensils:
Contrasting paper patterns-I used polka dots and stripes.
Ribbon- I used lots of different ribbons on this page
Banner-I made the banner and will be showing you how in a minute. It's SO easy!
Die cuts/stickers-I used my Cricut to cut the title and make the banner.
Textured paper- I wasn't able to use any textured paper, but distressed the edges of my papers to  give it a little bit of texture.

Directions:
I wrote about a summer tradition using Summer, as a journaling prompt. Here's a closer look.

The watermelon banner was so simple to make, that I almost didn't make this tutorial, but decided to do it anyway. I started by cutting a 3 inch circle out of  dark green cardstock using my Cricut, a 2 3/4" circle out of lime green, and a 2 1/2" circle out of red.  After distressing the edges, glue your circle together like this.
Then cut it into eighths. 
You could probably skip this part if you wanted to, but I inked the edges of the watermelon with red ink.

Then I used black puffy paint to create seeds.

Now just assemble your banner however you'd like. I just attached mine to some black string. Thanks for looking!


12 comments:

  1. Love this LO Drea - so happy you joined the DT at the Paper Mixing Bowl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drea, your watermelon banner is genius, so clever!! Love your fun layout!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love the effect of the watermelon and thank you for taking the time to show how it was done, it may seem easy but some of us still need to see how the artist put it together. Great work Drea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Drea, this is a great layout! And the watermelon banner is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice!! Love that watermelon banner, and all of the great distressing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad that you made that tutorial. That watermelon banner is so cute, but I would never have thought of that. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous Andrea!!! Beautiful banner!!! Looking forward to being on the PMB DT with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the watermelon banner and will totally be using the idea! :) Even just to make watermelon slices for embellishments! So happy to be on the Design Team with you.. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really like your layout.... love the watermelon tutorial... amazing how doing something sooooo simply has such a huge impact!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just saw this over at the challenge site & dropped by to say how impressed with your LO I was...love the funky colours & the number of photos you managed to add!!! FABBO:):):)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know I'm late but I saw this layout in the Paper Mixing Bowl blog and wanted to stop by! Beautiful layout and I love your watermelon banner! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for sharing how you did the banner! I love love love it!

    ReplyDelete