Saturday, August 18, 2012

Wild Fire Flower Tutorial

I finally got a chance to play at Once Upon A Sketch for the first time! Even though I love their sketches, and even have some saved, I never actually played until now. We had to journal about a season, so of course, I picked fall, my absolute favorite!
I started by making my background paper with Glimmer Mists. I made the fence using my Cricut (Songbird cartridge). It came with a bird on top, which I cut off along with all the vertical pieces. I then cut 2 strips of brown paper for the horizontal  backing of the fence. I added a strand of beads, and masked the pumpkin along the left side. I also made the tree with my Cricut (October 31st cartridge), and the leaves and flowers were made using the (Mother's Day Bouquet cartridge). Here's the beautiful sketch I had to work with!
Here's a closer look at my tree.
I have hidden journaling on a tag behind the smaller flower.

I'm also entering this into the August Monochrome challenge at Scrapbook.com to use Wild Fire Orange, which was my inspiration for these flowers. They remind me of flames. Here's a close-up.
Supplies:
White cardstock, Cricut (Mother's Day Bouquet cartridge), distress inks, blending tool, glue, and water.

Directions:
Cut your flowers out of white cardstock using your Mother's Day Bouquet cartridge. I used flower #32 and cut 2 each at 2 1/2", 2", 1 1/2", and 1".
Now use your blending tool and distress inks starting with mustard seed, since its the lightest color. Then randomly add some spiced marmalade, ripe persimmon, and fired brick.
Spray with water and crumble them up from the center. Carefully open them and let dry or use a heat gun.
Now layer and glue your flower starting with the largest ones on bottom. Thanks so much for stopping by and all your sweet comments!

14 comments:

  1. Drea,

    Great layout. I did one for the first time too and mine was fall.

    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  2. fabulous flowers as always, great take on the sketch, love the tree branches on the background :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How creative. Love the big tree on the background. Lovely take on the challenge. Thanks for playing with us at OUAS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so pretty! love the colors of your blooms!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you joined us! I also love autumn! Thank you for playing with us at OUAS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The colours are so lovely! And thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The fire orange really makes this layout pop (thanks for the tutorial on the flowers). Love the mix of tecniques and materials on this page.
    Thank you for playing with us at OUAS this month!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yes, love the orange flowers! really do jump off the page. Thanks for the tut too! So happy you finally found the time to play along. Really like that tree. Great take on the challenge! Thanks for sharing your lovely page with us at OUAS!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your take on the sketch! Your tree and fence look fantastic as do your flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great Autumn page! Yay...another fan of Autumn like me! It's my absolute fave season. Love that tree & masking and those handmade flowers are lovely! Thanks for sharing how you made them! Excellent job for your first time playing! Thanks for joining us at OUAS!

    ReplyDelete
  11. at first I must to say that You have very pretty looking blog :D
    and I love these oranges on your work!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome layout and your handmade flower is absolutely gorgeous!!! Thank you so much for playing along with us at OUAS!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow the tree is just GORGEOUS! A lovely autumn you have depicted (I hope I said this correctly)!! Thanks for joining us at OUAS!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's alive!!!
    Your handmade flowers are amazing.Thank you so much for joining us at OUAS.

    ReplyDelete