Saturday, August 6, 2011

Bunting Banner Tutorial and Contest

I did this page for a really cool challenge at Scrapbook.com inspired by the painted bunting bird. We had to use bright red, green, and blue, use paint, and make a bunting banner.I struggled with my bunting for a couple of hours before I finally figured it out. So I thought I'd share my technique with you.
Supplies you'll need.
Cardstock in 2 different colors
glue
stylus
ruler
Cricut
Button
white embroidery thread

First you'll need to cut your ovals. For this tutorial I'll be showing you how to do one scallop. For each oval you'll get 2 scallops. I cut my ovals with my Cricut machine at 2 3/4" for the blue oval and 1 3/4" for the green oval.
Then glue the green oval in the middle of the blue one.
Use your cutting tool to slice down the middle lengthwise. You now have 2 scallops to work with.
Next you'll want to use your stylus and ruler to make your creases. I start by scoring my scallop with a line down the center.
Then I score all of my lines making them slightly narrower towards the green center.They should look like this.
Then I fold the scallop in the center before making all my creases, folding it like a fan.
Then use some glue or a glue gun to glue the green center folds together creating a radiating effect.I then used white embroidery floss to stitch the X in the middle of my button. Glue your button towards the green center overlapping the button a little. I stitched the red and green line using my twisted stitching technique that I've shared here on my Blog hop post.Here's a close up.

So now that you know HOW to make a bunting banner, I'd love to see yours. If you try this technique just send me an email drea313s@yahoo.com and I'll post it here on my blog. Leave me a comment and become a follower, if you aren't already, and I'll pick a random winner to receive some of my hand made embellies. I know school will be starting again soon, so I'll give you until September 15th to play along.

5 comments:

  1. Hello Andrea!!! so glad you were able to figure out the bunting - your page looks amazing - i am now following you as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this technique!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This absolutely delightful, Andrea! Thank you very much for the step-by-step instruction on how to make these darling embellishments. Definitely one to tuck into the "try this file"! :)


    Wishing you a bright, beautiful week ahead, my friend!
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great tutorial. now how did you do the background?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you guys enjoyed the tutorial. Stacey, I used a dry brush technique with a wide brush and painted in vertical lines with 4 different colored paints.

    ReplyDelete