Monday, January 30, 2012

Water Flower Tutorial

I played with the new C.S.I. Case File #4 over the weekend! I was really inspired and excited to use these colors!I  The evidence I used was frames, which I made for all my journaling strips. I stamped them and backed them with my words printed from Photoshop onto vellum. I also stamped the border around the whole page using Martha Stewart's stamp around the page stamps. I used gesso around the lighter teal paper for my wet medium. For something shiny or reflective, I made these cool flowers! For my testimony I journaled in frames and used the inspiration words, wonder, although I added ful for wonderful, and change, which I made into changing. Here's what I came up with.
Here's the Case File.
The flowers were inspired by this video I saw here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLWfHLZZB_Q&feature=related
I'll show you how I made mine since I did them a little differently. Here's what you'll need.
Supplies:
1.Heat gun
2.Transparency paper or any kind of clear plastic.
3.Stream alcohol ink
4.Blending solution
5.Glossy Accents
6.Tweezers
7.Bead or rhinestone for the center

For the large flower I cut 3 sizes of  a flower in small, medium, and large onto the clear plastic. I made my own template for this based on Tim Holtz' Tattered floral die. Don't worry about it being perfect, since you'll be melting the edges anyway.
Then I used Stream alcohol ink with some blending solution to color the plastic.

This is the tricky part and you may have to try it a few times until you get your desired flower. Using the tweezers to hold part of the flower, I used my heat gun to melt the edges of the petals. Sometimes the petals don't all go in the same direction, so you have to be careful not to hold the heat gun too close. The smaller ones are especially hard to make, but definitely worth it in the end. It looks so much better in real life! It looks just like blown glass.
Then I glued the layers together using Glossy Accents and added a teal bead to the center.
Here's a close-up on my page.
Thanks for looking!

3 comments:

  1. those flowers are absolutely adorable!!! i love the way they look..they are absolutely awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous page! Those flowers are fabulous...and I'm loving the colors!

    ReplyDelete