Monday, June 25, 2012

Sunburst Flower Tutorial

After all these masculine pages I've been doing lately I wanted to do something really fun and colorful, and what better papers than Bo Bunny's Flower Child, which I still have so much of. So I made this page of my son for a couple of challenges.
1. Here comes the sun at Scrapbook.comWe had to use a sun and use stitching for a twist. I cut my sun out with my Cricut, (Life's a beach cartridge) and then misted it with blue Glimmer Mist (Jack Frost). I stitched a little on the striped paper in the back, and the 2 spirals, which I did in two colors.
2.June Walking on Sunshine at Flying Unicorn where we had to use blue, yellow, and green. 
I inked the edges of the background paper with some distress inks, and used a lot of water distressing everywhere, including the flowers, which I made myself. 
Here's a close-up of the journaling and stitching.
Here's a close-up of the flower we'll be making.

Supplies:
2 different contrasting colors of cardstock and yellow for the center. For this flower I used blue and red. 
Cricut (Mother's Day Bouquet cartridge)
brown ink
Glue
Brad for the center

Directions:
The first step is to cut out your flowers using the Cricut Mother's Day Bouquet cartridge. Cut 3 red and 3 blue using flower #34 at 2', 2 1/2", and 3". Cut your yellow flower (or sun) #17 at 1 1/2".
For all the red and blue flowers I used water distressing, by dipping the whole flower into water, and then shaping the petals up while pinching the ends. Make sure you're using good sturdy cardstock, otherwise the flowers might tear. Then give it a good blast with the heat gun to dry them.
Now just layer and glue together alternating your colors starting with the 3" flowers on the bottom.
For the centers just ink your flower with brown ink, and use the same water distressing technique by dipping it in water and shaping it up. I didn't pinch the edges though like I did with the other flowers. 
Now just glue the center to the flower, and insert a brad or button, and you have a sunburst flower! Thanks for stopping by! 

1 comment: