Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Seashell Cheesecloth Flower Tutorial ~ BOAF June Kit

I hope you all had a wonderful Memorial weekend! I scrapped this page using the Birds of a Feather June Kit and these vintage photos of my Grandparents from 1955.

The Dear Lizzy "Lucky Charm" collection worked well for the distressed, beachy look that I was going for. I used one of the die cut cards as a stencil to paint the chevrons on the background. I made the dots with gesso and a Crafter's Workshop template.

I also painted the Jillibean Soup diecut frames using 4 different colors. I can't believe I used new buttons with all the vintage buttons that I've inherited, but really loved how well these Lilybee buttons from last month's kit extras go with the colors on here.

I just LOVE these cute little folders that come in the kit!!

I added the cheesecloth from my own stash and to come up with these flowers using kraft cardstock.

For the large flower I cut 2 flowers using my Cricut (Mother's Day Bouquet cartridge flower #2) at 3 1/2" and 2". To make the medium one cut 3" and 1 1/2", and for the small one cut 2 1/2" and 1".

Then I used Distress ink (frayed burlap) to go over the edges.

For this next step use some wax paper to prevent your glue from sticking to the table or your page. Cut a piece of cheesecloth big enough for your flowers and lay it down on the wax paper. Then use your glue ( I  use Aleene's Fast Grab Tacky Glue) behind the flowers and adhere them to the cheesecloth. After about a minute take it off of the wax paper before the glue dries.Just flip them over until they do.

Once your glue is dry, cut the cheesecloth around the petals leaving about a quarter of an inch around the edges.

Using the end of a paintbrush curl your petals up towards the center and down on the ends.

Now glue the smaller flower on top of the larger one.

To finish it off glue a seashell in the center. Here's a look at the medium flower on the bottom. I also used my Cricut (Life is a beach cartridge) to cut out the starfish.
For a brighter version of this flower check out the 2nd LO that I made here.Thanks for looking!


1 comment:

  1. Oh those flowers look so pretty, great cartridge, and the cheesecloth adds great dimension.

    ReplyDelete