Monday, June 8, 2020

Altered Shell Tin

     Even though we got hail and rain here in Reno yesterday, Summer IS coming, so I took out my shells and altered this metal tin that measures 2 1/2". 




     I was inspired by the colors, shells, starfish, and water from the beautiful moodboard for the May 2020 Challenge @ Mixed Media Place!




     Since the silver tin was shiny, I lightly went over it with  sandpaper, before covering it with white gesso, so it won't peel off later. Unfortunately I learned this the hard way on a recent project, that I had to redo because I skipped that first step. Then I cut a 2 1/2" circle from a used dryer sheet, and adhered it inside of the tin with Ranger Multi Medium Gloss, creating ripples and texture with the end of my Prima Double Sided Texture Paintbrush. I also added the gloss to Art Alchemy Sparks (Mermaid Sparkle) to create a glaze, before painting the inside with two coats. To highlight the ripples, I painted over them with Art Alchemy Metallique (White Pearl) Paint, which really brought the water to life. After adhering the shells and starfish, I added some Prima (Pearl) Glass Glitter. 




     To protect the clear lid, I placed a 2 1/2" circle on top, before adhering the small shells and covering them with white gesso. Then I used Prima 3D Matte Gel to apply Prima Mini Stones in between the shells. Once it all dried, I painted it with Lindy's Gang Magicals (Hi Maintenance Magenta, Tears on my Pillow Tangerine, Bling-y Blonde, and Cuckoo Clock Cardinal), also used on the larger shells. After a few coats, I went over it with some touches of white gesso. 




     The outer part of the tin was done by creating a wavy texture with the end of my Prima Texture Brush, using Ranger Multi Medium Gloss, and adding it to my paints as a glaze. At first I repeated what I did to the inside, painting it with Art Alchemy Sparks (Mermaid Sparkle). But even after highlighting the texture with (White Pearl) paint, it felt like it was competing with the inside, so I went over it with a coat of Art Alchemy Sparks (Black Raven), followed by another coat of (Mermaid Sparkle) and touches of (White Pearl). Much better!





     Thanks for your visit! 

*******************
Challenges Entered:








5 comments:

  1. Hi Drea, this is such a cute little tin, so pretty & I love the placement of the shells 🐚
    Thank you for joining in with the challenge this month & good luck ....Jane 🌴
    Bleeding Art Design Team

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty altered tin. Nicely designed. Thank you for joining us at Bleeding Art this month. Judy DT

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful bowl! Matches our moodboard perfectly! Thank you for sharing with us at Mixed Media Place!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing work! Thank you for sharing with us at Mixed Media Place!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So pretty and love the beachy, tropical colours-thanks for joining in at Creative Artiste!

    ReplyDelete