Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Technique Tuesday for BOAF "Mixed with Glitz"

Mixed media that is. I had so much fun using a mix of  techniques on this page that I made, using the Color me happy collection from Glitz design that came in the new August kit at BOAF! I  just found this photo of my son when he was just 2 years old a couple of weeks ago, and thought it would be perfect with all of the rainbow of  colors. He lays with his elbows out just like his dad. Lol!

I was inspired by this sketch used for the August Sketch Challenge at Scrapbook.com.

After choosing black cardstock for my background, I rounded the corners and distressed the other side of the "color me happy hearts" paper. Then I lightly used some of my mists, most of which I've gotten from past kits. Starting on the left is Mister Huey's sunshine, which actually comes out more of an orange, which is why I also used marigold Glimmer mist. The chalkboard Glimmer mists are mantis and cornflower daze. I tried to keep most of the misting in the center of the page and made a huge boo boo on the left side. Thankfully the striped paper covered it right up.

After that dried I applied some gesso onto this polka dotted stencil from the Crafter's Workshop. I placed the stencil along the top right and bottom left of the page. 

Once it dried, I broke out my Distress inks and my grid stamp from Tim Holtz, using it along the bottom and right side edges of where I knew I wanted to place my photo. Then I used it again on the light blue cardstock I matted my photo on. I used a zigzag stamp for the yellow circle and a dotted one for the green circle. The light blue cardstock comes with the main kit, but the yellow and green are extras that you can buy here.

To finish off this page I decided to use the transparent heart peek-a-boo as a pattern for my hand stitching, poking holes all around it. I also added some buttons from my own stash to go over the circles that I cut out from the Glitz polka paper, which is also an extra. 

Here's a closer look at some of the misting, gesso, and stitch work. 

I hope you enjoyed the different techniques that I shared with you, and that you'll try them for yourself! 

No comments:

Post a Comment