Saturday, February 2, 2019

Cold as Ice

     Do you know your birthstone? Mine is the beautiful amethyst, for February, which inspired this art journal page. 



     I started by applying white gesso directly to the Tim Holtz Shatter and Mini Birch Stencils onto a piece of scrap paper, and then using them as a stamp to create the cracks and trees. Then I colored the background with Lindy's Gang Sprays (Black Orchid Silver and Brushed Nickel), and my new Magical Shakers (Frozen Jack Frost and Polka Purple), which is the perfect shade for amethyst!



     "Cold" was some very old ghost letters that I had, in which I had to cut a "d" to get my "C". Then I colored the edges with Alcohol Inks that I combined to get purple (Stream and Wild Plum). Since I only had the center of the "O", I outlined the rest of it with a silver pen, along with the rest of the title, after masking it with Distress Ink (Hickory Smoke). 



     The image was transferred from a magazine, using Prima Marketing Soft Matte Gel, and was the first time I tried this technique. As I started rubbing it off with water, I didn't realize it was working, since the colors blended into my background, so it tore along the right. But in this case it worked for me, since it looks like snow. Lol! 



     The flower was embossed with Lindy's Gang (Purely White) Embossing Powder, and the dies were scraps that I had leftover, cut with my Cricut Expression, and covered with Prima Snowflake Paste.



     I also embossed more cracks with the Bo Bunny (Rough it Up) Stamp using Lindy's (Queen Sheba's Silver) Embossing Powder. Then I adhered Prima's Frosted Mica Flakes with Glossy Accents, and printed the amethysts from various sites.



     Thanks for looking, and if you're interested, I started a new monthly Art Journaling Challenge at Scrapbook.com, and the twist this month is all about your birthstone. Hope to see you there!

***********************

Challenges Entered:

Mixed Media & Art ~ January Challenge Coolness (Inspired by everything on this board from the sketch, colors, textures, flower, cracks, and my title.) 



Splashy Mix Challenge ~ #2 Love Mood Board (Inspired by the scene and colors from the bottom right photo)





9 comments:

  1. A wonderful journal page. Fabulous colour blends and textures.
    Thank you for joining in with our February challenge "Anything Mixed Media Goes" at Creative Artiste Mixed Media. Good luck x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is gorgeous, thank you for joining us over a Bleeding Art.
    Hugs
    Linda xxx
    Bleeding Art DT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This is gorgeous! Love the colors and textures! Thank you so much for entering our challenge at Splashy Mix Challenge this week. Be sure to join us next time too!
    Blessings,
    SMC DT
    Scrapbookingmamaw {My Blog}
    Splashy Mix Challenges

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning mixed media page. The details and colors are so beautiful. Thank you for joining us at Splashy Mix Challenges this month. Judy DT https://splashymixchallenge.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very 'cool' project and the colors are fab! Thanks for joining us at Bleeding Art!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful Art Page Drea !! REally cold and lovely. Thanks so much for sharing your step by step, very interesting !! Love these stones !
    I wish you a very nice day, big hugs, Caty

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful color! Thanks so much for joining us at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. beautiful take on our moodboard. lovely textures too. Good luck to you.Thanks for playing along with us at Splashy Mix Challenge.Hope to see you again

    Shylaa

    Owner @ Splashy Mix challenge

    Adhiraacreations

    Splashy Mix Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pretty interpretation of our mood board. Stunning project. Thank you for joining us at Splashy Mix Challenges this month. Judy Dt https://splashymixchallenge.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete