Friday, July 12, 2019

Peace, Love, Light

     Green has always been one of my favorite colors, especially emerald and teal! So I created this mixed media piece, made from cardboard and other recycled items, colored with various gorgeous greens and metallics, using Art Alchemy Paints and Waxes.



     Including the colors, I took lots of inspiration from the June Challenge at Mixed Media Place, like the pine cones, pine tree, and dew drops from the mood board.  



     I started by adhering some leftover fruit netting, including the darker green netting from avocados, which I can't live without, and also happens to be green, to a piece of cardboard. I even left the tab, which has the wooden "Peace" banner on it. Then I added some torn strips from an old dictionary, and covered it all with white gesso before painting. The same netting was also used on the outer cardboard piece, after painting it with Rustic Brown Metallique Paint, and applying black gesso. 

     To extend the tree trunk from the image, I used some more black gesso, and colored it with Prima Waxes (Rich Copper, Bronze Age, Vintage Gold, and Lucky Emerald).Then I embossed the pines with Emerald Creek (Onyx Frost) Embossing Powder onto white tissue paper, adhered with Prima Marketing Soft Matte Gel. The Pine Cone Charms are also from Emerald Creek, and the silver ones got covered with white gesso, and painted with Art Alchemy Sparks (Fairy Wings) Paint. 



     The foliage and other metal charms were also covered with gesso before painting.



     To create water, I painted the bottom with Emerald Green Metallique Paint, with touches of the other greens painted over it. Then I added some medallions from the Funkie Junkie Boutique to replicate lily pads, frog included. The dew drops on the leaves were done with Ranger Glossy Accents. 




     The medallions also got treated with gesso, paints, and waxes. Then I added various clear green beads, along with some jade ones. The smaller river rock are Jade Gemstones from Emerald Creek.



     It felt great to use up so many charms that have been in my stash for YEARS, like this butterfly fluttering on top!




     The main image came from a magazine, and was adhered with Prima Soft Matte Gel, to the insert from my husband's cell phone, after covering it with black gesso. Then I used a stencil to create a mosaic effect on the frame, including the sides. After drying, I painted it with the same colors as the background, painting water along the bottom, and gave it touches of bronze and gold wax. I just love the effect, and wish you could see all of the shimmer! 




          The lantern was made from a large bead, that I embossed the the round edges with using Emerald Creek (Charred Gold) Embossing Powder, along with the hanging piece that I found among some beads. 



     

     The ray of light coming from the lantern, was painted with watered down Art Alchemy Sparks (Dragon's Eye) Paint. Then I painted the wooden banners with Art Alchemy Metallique (Rustic Brown) and Sparks (Ginger Magic) before embossing the words with EC (Black Cherry) Aroma Embossing Powder



     This piece was so much fun to make, and now hangs above my scrap table for inspiration! Thanks so much for stopping by!


****************************
Challenges Entered:





The House That Stamps Built ~ Tic-Tac-Toe Challenge (I went across with the top row using insects, butterfly and dragonfly charms, Metallics, used throughout, and Dew Drops on the leaves)



13 comments:

  1. This is wonderful, I love the detail on this project. Thank you for joining us over at Bleeding Art this Month.
    Hugs
    Linda xxx
    Bleeding Art DT

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous creation Drea, such gorgeous colours and all of your metallic accents just make it shine! Thanks so much for joining us at A Vintage Journey for our Precious Metal challenge, Deb xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful, so much to see and lots of lovely textures. Thank you so much for joining in with our challenge at Country View Crafts, and have a very happy weekend, Sue x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very awesome inspiration Drea! Thank you for joining us this month at Bleeding Art!
    Jess
    Bleeding Art DT

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous!!! I'm so intimidated by mixed media, but you nailed it!! Love the colors and all the awesome texture! Thanks for playing with The House That Stamps Built.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so beautiful; I'm awestruck by your mixed media work! This is like an ethereal voyage under the sea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning details. Lovely artwork. Thank you for joining us at Creative Artiste this month. Judy DT

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh you are so right, those colours do work so well together! I love how you've added them to all the embellishments to keep the ombre effect and still create so much texture and interest. Thank you for sharing it with us at The Funkie Junkie Boutique challenge blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Drea, I'm a little late with my comment, because I've been on vacation (no Internet). Your artwork is gorgeous and so full of creative details and textures. It's a fascinating piece to admire, and I bet it brings you much inspiration! Thank you so much for sharing your artwork with us at The Funkie Junkie Boutique challenge blog! Hugs! Sara Emily

    ReplyDelete
  10. And of course, thank you for including this lovely artwork in our Precious Metal challenge at A Vintage Journey. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely project ! thank you for joining in with my challenge over at Country View Challenges !
    Corrie xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the details and texture of your project. Very beautiful. Thank you for joining us at Creative Artiste this month. Judy DT

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful dear Drea! So much is going on there, so much to see. Wonderful texture!
    Thank you so much for joining in with our challenge over at Country View Challenges this month!
    Evelyn xx

    ReplyDelete