Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Ladybug Scallop Tutorial for BOAF

Hello! Drea here with another tutorial for you.I used the Birds of a Feather May Kit to create this page using a photo that my Mom took of her ceramic garden boots. I started by distressing my green background Core'dinations Cardstock  (grassroots) using sandpaper.  I made the ladybug scallops using my own supplies of 1 sheet each of red and black cardstock, some black embroidery thread, 20 black buttons, scotch tape, glue, Big Bite or hole punch, and white puffy paint.
I actually traced and cut out the red scallop paper from another sheet that I had in light blue. Since I distressed the edges anyway I didn't have to worry about cutting it out perfectly.
Then I used my Big Bite to punch out the circles, punching 3 large circles on each scallop and 6 on the corners. If you don't have a Bit Bite then just use a regular hole punch.

Then using the smaller hole punch I punched more circles in between the larger ones.
Now you can glue your paper onto black cardstock and trim around the edges using scissors. Next step is to distress those edges.
To make the legs I cut about an inch and a half of black embroidery thread and folded it in half, taping it underneath the back twice for each scallop. I decided to leave the corners alone, but feel free to add legs there too if you want.
At this point I glued my scallops onto the green cardstock and added this paper from Lily Bee "Sweet Shoppe" Collection which comes in the extras.
To make the ladybug heads I used 20 black buttons with two holes in them. Instead of the full skein of black embroidery thread that I used for the legs, I divided it in half using 3 strands of thread to make the antennae. I looped the threads through the button holes and knotted the ends.
Then I glued them down in between each scallop using the holes as guidelines for their eyes, remembering to have one hole on part of the scallop and the other onto the pp.
The finishing touch is to make the eyes using white puffy paint covering the holes of the buttons.
I used this sticker from Simple Stories "Vintage Bliss" collection, which is also an extra, for my journaling. 

The best part of the extras are these cute embellishments by Lily Bee "Sweet Shoppe" collection, including the baker's twine which I used to wrap around my photo. I love the blue Prima flowers which are included in the main kit. I stamped and inked the other flowers and used black puffy paint for the centers. I also stamped the black leaves.
I had so much fun with this page and fabulous kit!! Be sure to check it out for yourself!


1 comment:

  1. Andrea I am so impressed and inspired, this is fabulous and I love the ladybug tutorial. Thank you so much for taking the time so we can see your creative process. I love it.

    ReplyDelete