Monday, September 10, 2018

Haberdashery

     A haberdashery is shop selling small articles of sewing, such as buttons, ribbons, and zippers, and is the current challenge over at Frilly and Funky. As busy as I've been with other projects, and being a former seamstress and quilter, I just had to create my own, made from quite a few recycled items.



       Like the frozen dinner box that I built it from, measuring 6" X 6" with a 1 1/2" depth.




     A few years ago, my mom gave me a few books of curtain samples, so I finally used one of them to make the canopy, which inspired the rest of the colors.


   

     To make the bricks on the back and sides, I used a stencil with white gesso mixed with some Magicals, applied over a coating of black gesso. Then I sprayed it, and gave it some texture with Ranger's Brick Antiquities Embossing Powder. The frame and bracket that I made to support the canopy was embossed with Emerald Creek Onyx Frost onto gold cardstock, using some old architecture stamps.



     My other recycled items are the vintage gold spools of thread, that I unwound, belonging to my late grandma, when it cost just 40 cents for the smaller ones, and 70 cents for the large one, which were on the labels that I scrubbed off. I also used the back of one of her buttons to hold the hands of the clock that I made from one of the smaller spools.


   
     The "wallpaper" was made with some Lindy's Sprays, and stamped with a couple of red inks, with clear embossing powder over it. Then I embossed the sewing embellishments with Emerald Creek's Black Onyx and Mirror Gold Embossing Powders, using the Sew Thankful Stamp from Red Rubber Designs, and popping up the sewing machine and pin cushion with some pop dots. The final touch, and reason for these horrible photos, is the clear acetate that I glued to the window. Between the glare from that and all of the gold, it was very difficult to photograph. But I'm so thrilled with the results, and wish you could see it in real life!



*******************************
Challenges Entered Into:





9 comments:

  1. Drea, nice to see you! I love your haberdashery! Love the box you used too, ha! (That chicken is really good for a prepared food>)Thanks for joining in the Frilly and Funkie challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy cow! this is just so durn creative! I love your color choices based on that curtain fabric, and GENIUS use of the box! A girl after my own heart with the recycling, dear! Thank you for sharing with us at Frilly and Funkie! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I would love to shop in this lovely haberdashery! I love all the spools of thread, the wonderful transformation of that frozen dinner box, and the cherished vintage items you used in this darling vignette! Thanks so much for playing along in the Haberdashery Challenge on the Frilly and Funkie Challenge Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your idea. Your project in stunning. Thank you for joining us at Altered Eclectics this month. Judy DT

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a welcoming shop window! Love the wallpaper you created that makes a great backdrop for all the sewing notions. Thanks for joining us at Stamps and Stencils.
    Hugs!
    Cec

    ReplyDelete
  6. A fab project! I love all the lovely items included. Thank you for joining us at Creative Artiste this month, Jane (DT) :) x http://creativeartistemixedmedia.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous shop window ! I love the flock style wallpaper as the backdrop to your wares in the window ! Thanks for joining us at Stamps and Stencils. Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful haberdashery you created and so clever coming from a recycled box! I can walk right into your clever little store! Thanks for playing along with us at the Haberdashery challenge on the Frilly and Funkie Challenge Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful piece! such a pretty collection and very nicely displayed. Thank you for sharing with us at Altered Eclectics this month. Sammy-x

    ReplyDelete